El Dorado County California

California has been known for the gold rush which started in 1848 when John Sutter found gold at his timber mill on the American River. The gold rush resulted to massive growth of the mining industry around California and as it became more prominent, the exploration expanded across counties using methods like hydraulic and drift mining. One of the most prominent counties is the El Dorado County were several gold mining companies were created.  Below is the list of some of them:

The Alpine Mine, a large lode gold mine, was located two miles southeast of Georgetown. It operated in the 1860’s until 1938.

The Black Gold Mine was a placer gold, drift mine in Pleasant Valley. It was active in 1930-31 and 1936.

Just east of the town of Kelsey was the Dalmatia (Kelly) Mine, a large lode gold mine. It was operated in the 1880’s, 1890-94 and again in 1935.

The Eagle King mine was a lode gold mine located one-half further north of Grizzly Flat. The mine was active from 1894-1896.

El-Dorado County California Gold

Beautiful bright gold can be found in El Dorado County

Fort Yuma was the name of a lode gold mine on Big Canyon Creek, two miles northeast of Brandon Corner (east of Latrobe). It was active from 1890-1902 and again in 1938.

The Frog Pond and Marigold Consolidated Mine was a lode gold mine one-half mile northwest of Garden Valley. The mine was active from 1914 – 27.

The Funny Bug (Pendelco) Mine was a lode gold mine located one mile southwest of GoldHill, on the north bank of Weber Creek. It was active from 1928 to 1942.

The Gambling (also known as Gamblin) Mine was a lode gold mine located two miles southwest of Fair Play. It was active in 1915-18 and 1933-34.

One of the larger lode gold mines was the Griffith Consolidated it was composed of eight claims and located one-half mile south of Diamond Springs. Originally worked in the 1850’s, it was actively worked from 1888-90, in 1896 and 1903.

One of the large lode gold mines which just recently closed was the Hazel Creek Mine, located fifteen miles east of Placerville and two miles southeast of Pacific House on Hazel Creek. Mining started in 1948 till around 1956.

The Hoosier Gulch Dredge was a placer gold mining operation by the Hoosier Gulch Placers Company, using a dragline dredge in Logtown Ravine (south of the town site of El Dorado) in 1939 and near Shingle Springs in 1945 and 1947.

The Idlewild or Taylor Mine was a large, lode gold mine on the Mother Lode two miles northwest of Garden Valley. Originally worked in 1865, it was active again from the late 1880’s to about 1902. Some additional work was done at the mine during the years 1939-41.

The Jones (Good Luck) Mine was a lode gold mine two miles south of Diamond Springs. It was active in 1915 and during 1922-23.

The Joseph Skinner (Fisk, Porphyry) Mine was a seam gold mine on the Mother Lode, one mile north of Placerville. It was active 1896-98, 1901-03 and around 1932.

The Kumfa or Kum Fa Mine was a placer gold drift mine at Smith’s Flat (Smithflat). It was active from 1911-13 and also in 1928 and 1936.

Five miles south of Shingle Springs was a lode gold mine known as the Log Cabin (Darrow) Mine. It was active in 1894-96.

The Lookout Mine was a lode gold mine on the Mother Lode, some three miles southwest of El Dorado. It was intermittently active from 1860 through the 1930’s.

The Maple Leaf (Blakely) Mine was a placer gold mine located two miles west of Camino near Five Mile House. Originally active in the 1880’s, it was reopened from 1932 to 1935.

One mile east of Greenwood was the Ohio (Eagle) Mine, a lode gold mine it was active in 1894-96.

The One Spot (Sailor Jack) Mine was a placer gold, drift mine one mile south of Camino. It was active in the “early days of gold rush”, and reactivated in 1934-38.

Three miles south of the town site of El Dorado was another lode gold mine, the Red Wing (Red Top) Mine. It was first active from 1914 to 1922 and again in 1926.

Three miles southeast of Placerville, at Texas Hill, was a placer gold, drift mine known as the Rising Hope Mine. It was active from 1910 to 1920 and again in 1929.

One mile north of Georgetown, in the Georgia Slide area, was a placer gold mine known as the Sailor Slide Mine. It was active from 1919 to 1922.

One mile north of Greenwood was a seam gold mine known as the Sam Martin Mine. It was active in 1894-96.

The Santa Rosa Mine was a placer gold; drift mine on Hopkins Creek, one mile east of Volcanoville. It was operating during the years 1894 through 1896.

One mile north of Placerville was the Sherman Mine, a lode gold mine. It was active in 1905 and 1908-11.

Three miles northwest of Slate Mountain (southeast of Georgetown) was the Slate Mountain Mine, a lode gold mine. It was active from 1921 to 1941 and again in 1951.

The St. Lawrence Mine was a lode gold mine on the Mother Lode, one and one-half miles southeast of Garden Valley. It operated from 1867 to 1878

The Starlight Mine was a lode gold mine on Logtown Ridge, two and one-half miles south of the town site of El Dorado. It was active from 1890 to 1894.

Two miles southeast of Placerville, between Chili Ravine and Weber Creek, was a placer gold, drift mine known as the Stewart Mine. It was active in the 1880’s and early 1890’s.

The Taylor Mine, also known as the Idlewild Mine, was a large, lode gold mine on two miles northwest of Garden Valley (one publication says four miles). Originally worked in 1865, it was active again from the late 1880’s to about 1902. Some additional work was done at the mine during the years 1939-41.

One mile south of Rattlesnake Bridge, immediately east of the Zantgraf Mine, was the Threlkel (Winton) Mine, a lode gold mine. It was active in 1924-26 and again in 1937.

At Smith’s Flat, east of Placerville, was a placer gold, drift mine known both as the Toll House and Hook and Ladder Mine. It was originally active prior to 1890, in the 1890’s and from 1918 until 1932.

The Victoria Mine was a lode gold mine four miles northwest of the town of Rescue, near the Boulder Mine. It was active in 1924-26.

The Welch Mine was a lode gold mine one-half mile northeast of the town of Greenwood. It was active from 1894 through 1896.

The Wiedebush Mine was a lode gold mine located two miles south of Volcanoville. It was active during the years 1920 through 1926.

The Zantgraf (Montauk Consolidated, Zentgraf) Mine was a lode gold mine located one mile south of Rattlesnake Bridge on the east side of the American River, six miles southwest of Pilot Hill. This mine was first worked in 1880 and by the year 1888, it was in full operation and since 1938, the mine has effectively been idle.